From Aljazeera English: Â “We are now being told by the police sources that the US soldier left his base at three o clock this morning.
It would have been pitch-black wherever he walked,” he said.
From the perspective of one neighbourhood in Herat: “The soldier went through three separate houses, shooting at people as they slept in their beds.
After the soldier shot these people, he turned himself in.”
(Illustration — aftermath of US GI’s Afghan shooting spree — found here).
The still-unidentified US soldier reportedly ended up killing 16 people — including nine children and three women — and at near 10 a.m. PST Sunday, there’s been no motive either for the shooting spree.
Also from Aljazeera English:
Anti-American sentiment had already been running high before news of the latest civilian casualties.
“It is frankly disastrous.
It is not just a disaster for the people who were murdered and killed in their houses, it is disaster for the country I suspect,” our correspondent said.
And this via Sky News:
There have been differing reports over the number of casualties and the number of troops involved.
Witnesses have told Reuters they saw a group of American soldiers arrive at their village in Kandahar’s Panjwayi district at around 2am, enter homes and open fire.
Haji Samad said 11 of his relatives were killed in one house, including his children.
Pictures showed blood-splattered walls where the children were killed.
“They (Americans) poured chemicals over their dead bodies and burned them,” a weeping Mr Samad told Reuters at the scene.
“I saw that all 11 of my relatives were killed, including my children and grandchildren,” said Samad, who had left the home a day earlier.
Neighbours said they awoke to crackling gunfire from American soldiers, whom they described as laughing and drunk.
“They were all drunk and shooting all over the place,” said neighbour Agha Lala, who visited one of the homes where the incident took place.
“Their bodies were riddled with bullets.”
An AP photographer saw 15 bodies between the two villages caught up in the shooting.
Some of the bodies had been burned, while others were covered with blankets.
A young boy partially wrapped in a blanket was in the back of a minibus, dried blood crusted on his face and pooled in his ear.
His loose-fitting brown pants were partly burned, revealing a leg charred by fire.
Villagers packed inside the minibus looked on with concern as a woman spoke to reporters.
She pulled back a blanket to reveal the body of a smaller child wearing what appeared to be red pajamas. A third dead child lay amid a pile of green blankets in the bed of a truck.
One friggin’ horror story no matter.
The US and its NATO bitches need to get out of Afghanistan as fast as they load them trucks.
None of the major news services have said much of anything about the report above from Sky News — apparently it was a loner, a so-called “rogue” US Army sergeant, although it was noted by CNN that Taliban claimed it was a night raid by several soldiers and the death toll was 50.
And this from Seraj, a member of Afghanistan’s former royal family: “We cannot whitewash this and get this young man out of Afghanistan and send him back to the Untied States. That is the worst thing we can do at this time,” he said. And he questioned how the soldier left his post in the pre-dawn hours, adding, “I know the Kandahar base. A fly cannot get in without being searched.”
And this adds to the chaos — from the UK’s the Guardian: Few Afghans believe that the burning of Qur’ans in February was an anomaly.
All this on the eve of UK head honcho David Cameron meeting President Obama in Washington tomorrow.
More bullshit no less — foreigners in Afghanistan need to take a hike.